SY2015 CDL Coach Training Seminar IV — This Saturday, 10/11, 9:00am – 12:00pm
The Debate League has its fourth coach training seminar of nine now scheduled for the 2014/15 season — CDL Coach Training Seminar IV — this Saturday, 10/11, 9:00am – 12:00pm, at the Loyola Law School, 25 E. Pearson St., room 1404.
This seminar will review the Mini-Debate Exercise, using several key issues from the SY2015 CDL Core Files. The Mini-Debate Exercise is a crucial debate coaching staple and should be used — and therefore mastered — by all CDL coaches.
The following CDL Debater Development Benchmarks will be the focus of this Saturday’s seminar:
(15) Affirmative speaker duties and roles: 1AC, 2AC, 1AR, and 2AR
(16) Negative speaker duties and roles: 1NC, 2NC/1NR (the negative block), and 2NR
Introduction to the Topic
(19) Broad knowledge of the public policy context from which the topic comes
(20) Understanding the Core Files
(33) Efficient flowing: use of readable symbols; ability to condense opponent arguments into short tag-lines
(34) Flow organization: proper use of spacing on single sheets and organization of issues between sheets; and flowing out one’s own responses
Advanced Use of Evidence
(37) Choosing the best and most useful Core Files evidence (or arguments from other prepared files), supplementing with additional research and updates, and deleting or not using weaker evidence
(38) Highlighting or underlining all key arguments from the Core Files (or other prepared files) for efficiency and strategic value
Parking at lots near the Loyola Law School is $10, with validation from the lobby of the law school building (the Philip H. Corboy Center, 25 E. Pearson St.). The Loyola Law School is also right off of the Chicago stop on the CTA red line.
Registration is required. Register by Friday, 10/10, at 12:00pm, by sending an email to email@example.com.
Attendees will earn three hours of professional development credit within the CMSDL system, and three hours of CPDUs.